Over here, we looooove a great position statement. Like really, really love it.
See, the way your brand is positioned in the market matters immensely — from the clients you attract to the business you’re able to build. When you can land on a position statement that fits your own brand just right, you’ve landed on a huge money-making opportunity for that business of yours.
It’s the best.
Plus, we can promise you that you CAN write your own position statement, no copywriter or marketing team necessary. Really, all you need is an understanding of your business and a confidence in your own brand.
You’ve got this.
So, let’s talk about position statements…
A position statement is a statement that clearly states what you do, who you help, and how you’re different — AKA, how you’re positioned in your market! A position statement can help massively both internally and externally with everything from increased clarity to better team communication to improved marketing messaging. Plus, in turn, that position statement can give you the roots you need to continually improve your business from the ground up.
Want some examples? Here are some position statements from some of our favorite brands — they all do a great job of showing what makes the brand different, what they do, and why they do it (the trifecta!).
- Delta Airlines: As a purpose-driven brand, we connect humanity, and by doing so, drive forward empathy and a deeper respect and care for our planet and the people within it.
- Walt Disney: The mission of The Walt Disney Company is to entertain, inform and inspire people around the globe through the power of unparalleled storytelling, reflecting the iconic brands, creative minds and innovative technologies that make ours the world’s premier entertainment company.
- ClickUp: There has to be a better way to work – that’s why we created ClickUp, first an internal tool, now as a way to fulfill our vision of making the world more productive.
- Spotify: Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity—by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by it.
- Peloton: Peloton uses technology and design to connect the world through fitness, empowering people to be the best version of themselves anywhere, anytime.
How to Craft Your Position Statement
Ready to write your own position statement? You know we’ve got you covered, and we can promise that it’s easier than you might think! When we work on position statements alongside our clients (and for ourselves), we focus on a few main areas: target audience, competitors, and differentiators.
Here’s the thing: your position statement doesn’t have to feel like a crazy overwhelming task (not even close). Instead, your position statement should hone in on who you are, what makes you unique, and why you do what you do. That’s it! Need some help? We recommend using this handy-dandy template to craft your position statement:
[Company Name] is a [Type of Company] that helps [Target Market] with [Services]. Unlike other [Competitors], [Company Name]: [Differentiator 1], [Differentiator 2] &[Differentiator 3]
Simpler than you thought, huh?! You’ve got this!
And, if you’re ready to become wildly in demand with your brand and positioning, we have *just* the thing for you. Join the waitlist here for IN DEMAND, a 6-week, self-paced program designed to help you audit, elevate, and skyrocket your business. See you inside!