why i plan my week out on a sunday

As Featured on Vow + Vast: Why I Plan My Week Out on a Sunday

Every Sunday night, once the emails have stopped rolling in and my golden pupper Trigger is getting ready for bed, I turn on the radio, boil some water for a tea and settle into the couch with my planner.

And yes, I talk A LOT about boundaries, especially on weekends, but there is something great about sitting down and finishing off my past week by planning for the one coming up. But don’t let me just rant about it; let me tell you why:

Mondays are THE worst day.

Mondays have always gotten a bad wrap. Even for the self-employed who CHOOSE to work on Mondays. But what I discovered was, the real reason behind why I dreaded the first day of the week, that Mondays come with some serious to-do list overload.

Instead of going in blind, being bombarded with emails and calls and requests WHILE trying to figure out what your real priorities are for the day (and week), taking 10 minutes the night before to sail into the new week with a solid plan of action really takes that overwhelm away.

Which leads me to…

No one’s working on Sunday night.

Thank gaaaawd. Some peace and quiet for you to actually think straight, step out of working in the day-to-day of your business and step into thinking like the boss.

As business owners, whenever there’s a problem or one of our clients needs up, we jump on it. Of course we want to make sure they have the best possible experience and that we’re over delivering for them. Luckily, they’re doing their own thing Sunday night, which means that you can too.

And your thing is making sure that your business is going to kick ass this coming week.

Stepping into #bossmode from #selfcaresunday

Another perk of doing your planning the night before a big week is because it’s normally coming after some time away from your business. That means you’ve detached and decompressed and you’re coming back into working on your business with a clear, 30,000 foot view of your business.

And can I just say: there’s nothing better than finishing off a relaxing or fun weekend with a dash of productivity and feeling like you’re checking something off that to-do list (by creating your to-do list, #winwin).

If you’re interested in the planner myself and the rest of the Rebel Office team use, check out the CanvastCo planner. It’s from Australia, is sassy (just how we like it) and undated, so you can start it at any time during the year. It’s basically our bible.

So go make your tea (or coffee, if that’s your style), settle in, get cozy, and happy planning.

You can catch the original featured article over here, on the official Vow + Vast website.

Author:

Meet Sarah, the nerd behind Rebel Office. But feel free to call her Badass Efficient CEO ;) She is committed to creating resources for boss babe entrepreneurs like you, so you can spend less time running your business and more time enjoying life.

Comments:

• November 22, 2019
    Suktara

Love these tid-bits on Sunday planning, I am a sucker for organisation so making a to-do list and planning an entire week is a must for me on Sundays!

Jazmine Kongmuang

We’re happy to hear you enjoyed this article! Love that you plan your week ahead too!

• November 22, 2019
    Rozanne Wilds

Great post. I like the idea of planning weeks on Sundays. I tend to just have a rough plan in my head every week of what I need to do and then compile some daily to-do lists in the evening for the next day, but I could do with better structure than that. Seeing if I’d follow through with something like this … well, let’s just say that a whole other story.

Do you have any posts on exactly how you do your weekly planning? I’m assuming you use the CanvastCo Planner?

• November 22, 2019
    Sonia Motwani

That was such a wonderful one and I am so so glad to have found your blog❤️
    Keep shining, darling 🌻

• November 22, 2019
    Yamini Gautam

Great read! Sunday is definitely my self-care day. I’m big into Korean skincare so I can simultaneously plan my next week with a lovely facemask on 😀

Jazmine Kongmuang

Oh, yaaaaas! Korean skincare is the bomb-diggity. I love it too! I always plan what time I’m going to get my planning done, then pop a hair mask in, face mask on, grab a fave drink and sit down with my planner and laptop, letting the goodness be soaked up while I’m brainstorming my week ahead. It’s such a good feeling!

• November 22, 2019
    Carolyn

I love this! I’m a fellow Sunday week-planner…or at least I try to be. Your post has inspired me to be more consistent 😉 Thanks!

Jazmine Kongmuang

Hey Carolyn! Thanks for dropping by, we love that you enjoyed this article and it inspired you!

• November 22, 2019
    Nate

The idea of planning out stuff on Sunday is awesome. What I really want to do is plan out a month but sometimes what makes it hard for me is that I pivot so much in my business I have to make adjustments. So I usually plan stuff out the night before and it’s been working great.

Jazmine Kongmuang

Hi Nate! We appreciate you popping by and reading our article. I totally understand what you mean. I do the same thing with planning the night before. Even though it’s a little more stressful and last-minute, sometimes those plans go smoother because it’s easier to predict what going to happen tomorrow, compared to what’s going to happen in a few days or next fortnight, that hasn’t been planned. We love that this has been working for you!

• November 22, 2019
    Keri Baugh

This is a great post, as I really need to adopt this habit. It would really help Mondays be more productive.

Jazmine Kongmuang

Hey Keri! You got this, babe! Let us know if you need any help!

• November 23, 2019
    POOVANESH PATHER

i love the idea of planning your week on a Sunday. That sets you up for an organized and productive week.

Jazmine Kongmuang

Yaaas, productivity, and organization are #bossbabe necessities.

• November 23, 2019
    Lyosha

I love planning things too, it helps a lot to get more things done and be generally more prodcutive

Jazmine Kongmuang

Definitely! We have a tonne of articles and tools for productivity. Have you checked them out?

• November 23, 2019
    The Virginia Nymph

I need to do this much more often than I do. Everything always goes so much more smoothly for me when I do plan things out.

Sunday would be the best day for me as well.

Jazmine Kongmuang

Not gonna lie, I definitely need to make sure I’m making more time to do it as well!
      Sarah is an organizational queen that gets soooo much done. Literal #goals.

• November 23, 2019
    Celebrate Woman Today

Very helpful to see what others do in planning their week out. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Jazmine Kongmuang

Thank you for popping by! You’re so welcome.

• November 23, 2019
    Kuntala Bhattacharya

Your plan is good for a Sunday and with Sunday approaching tomorrow I need to gear up to it. For me, Sundays are relaxing and creating some space for myself.

Jazmine Kongmuang

I hope you had a magnificent Sunday, Kuntala!

• November 23, 2019
    Angela

I think this sounds very organised. It’s a good idea to plan your week ahead so you have targets of what to achieve.

Jazmine Kongmuang

Definitely, we love organization here at RO.

• November 23, 2019
    Adi

I plan my week out on Sunday evenings too. Love to hit the ground running on Monday mornings!

Jazmine Kongmuang

Yaaas! We love to hit the ground running on a Monday too! Such a good feeling, right?

• November 23, 2019
    Norma

Starting your week by planning everything on Sunday sounds like an awesome idea. I also use Sunday as a preparation day for a smooth week.

Jazmine Kongmuang

Hi Norma! Thank you for popping by, we love that you prep on Sundays too!

Morgan

Love this & totally agree! I used to be so completely overwhelmed come Monday morning and now that I plan on Sunday my week starts off so much better 🙂 great advice/insight!

• November 25, 2019
    Lyanna Soria

I am definitely a Sunday planner as well. I want my Sunday to be a rest day so I don’t set plans and just chill at home most of the time.

• November 26, 2019
    Bindu Thomas

I can’t work without a task list, but usually, it’s a daily one. Great idea to get a weekly plan done on Sunday.