Rebel Office Blog - Staying Productive During the Holidays

Staying Productive & Focussed During the Holidays

December is a busy time of year: gearing up for 2019, big sales and order volume for the holidays and new year, family events and friend get-togethers. But… like… you still run a business. So how do you manage it all?!

Because we know you’re super busy, we’re going to keep it quick with this post and jump on in to our top 3 tips to get focused, refocus when you lose focus, and ultimately keep you on track to start 2019 strong.

#1: Plan for time off

Stress & scrambling is no bueno during the holidays, so plan ahead. Know what you have coming up: what posts need to go out, what blogs need to be published, what promotions are kicking off the new year (or closing the old one), etc. Once you are aware of everything that needs to get done, you can plan to get it done around your holiday time. We strongly recommend planning for even more time off than you think you’ll need. Life happens, so get ahead of the curve. Yes, you might have to work a little harder now, but you’ll thank us later when you’re stuffing your face with delicious holiday food.

#2: Schedule & delegate

Seems obvious, we know. But be aware of time that you’ll need off your holiday-related things so that you can have things scheduled out or delegated beforehand. We actually just spoke all about this on Sol Studio’s article How to Take a Proper Social Media Vacation. Now that you’ve planned time off, you know exactly what needs to go out when you won’t be available. So schedule that sh*t. Taking the time to think a little further into the future now will make sure you’re still showing up consistently throughout the holidays.

#3: Shut it down

No, no, we’re not saying close down your business for the holidays. Though, if that’s something you want to do, feel free. It’s actually quite common, especially amongst brick & mortar shops. No, we’re talking digital things. Shut off your computer. Put your phone on silent. If there is any time of year where you deserve to take a legitimate break from being the boss, it’s during the holidays. Prioritize having a bit of fun, experiencing some of the holiday magic and really spending time with your loved ones (because they do put up with your entrepreneur lifestyle the rest of the year).

We hope these little tips help you get ready for the holidays. If we don’t speak to you before then, enjoy the season and have an absolutely magical New Year.

Author:

Meet Sarah, the nerd behind Rebel Office. But feel free to call her Badass Efficient CEO ;) She is committed to creating resources for boss babe entrepreneurs like you, so you can spend less time running your business and more time enjoying life.

Comments:

• November 29, 2019
    Cheri Cobb

Very good tips. It’s so easy to fall off track during the holidays. We’re so distracted by everything else! Great post

• November 29, 2019
    Karin

Thanks! Shutting down my laptop is a biggie for me 🙂 Last time I did that was this summer and it felt odd the first few hours but then……woohoo me time!

• November 29, 2019
    Kimberlee

These are some great tips! Thank you!

• November 29, 2019
    Ej

Hi Sarah! I have to get better at scheduling things in advance. My goal for 2020 is to schedule out everything I want to do for my blog in 2020 by the end of this December. It’s just me so I can’t really delagate anything, but one day I will be able too! Thanks for the tips.

• November 29, 2019
    Nilakshi @ merakimusings

Great tips! Shutting down digital world for a while and celebrating family is really a great idea. Thanks a lot.

• November 29, 2019
    Lukas

Thanks for your tips, definitely have to shut down the digital stuff for a while 😉

• November 30, 2019
    Marjie Mare

This is exactly what I needed to read right now. Although I love the holiday season, it can be overwhelming. Thanks for sharing this.

• November 30, 2019
    Angela

Such good advice, Particularly, the idea about shutting off your computer for a day or two and taking a real break. We all need to take time out now and againa but when you run your business online it can be tempting to just keep going all the time.

• November 30, 2019
    Kuntala Bhattacharya

I loved your ideas. It is very necessary to just switch off from work and enjoy a peaceful holiday. I am going to do that in December.

• November 30, 2019
    Erin

Great tips! I do always find it hard to stay on track with projects and life during the holidays. Will try out some of these suggestions this year!

• December 1, 2019
    Maysz

Holidays is my busy days for me I have lot’s of appointment’s regarding on my work and also spend with family on Holiday would be a great idea to become productive 🙂

• December 1, 2019
    tweenselmom

Taking time off during the holidays is a challenge for me, because first of all, I still need to earn. But yes, we need a reminder that all work and no play, during the holidays, makes one a miserable lad.

• December 1, 2019
    Danielle

So many great tips here! I really have a hard time sometimes staying productive especially during the holiday season.

• December 1, 2019
    Doibedouin

True. And I totally agree. I am a travel blogger. And by the end of the year I kinda feel like I am traveling for blogging. I do need the break from the digital world too. And that reestablishes the true motto of traveling 😇😇😇😇

• December 3, 2019
    Melanie Frost

For me, this is often easier said than done. But it is really important to take personal time off without electronics and other distractions. Thank you for the reminder!

• December 3, 2019
    Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen

It’s so hard to stay focused during the holidays!!! Thanks for sharing your tips. It will really help a lot.

• December 3, 2019
    Dana Brillante-Peller

The holiday season is a tough time to stay focused, more so with family and friends visiting. These tips should come in handy.

• December 4, 2019
    Rose Ann Sales

Thanks for the tips. It’s perfect for me cuz holidays are kinda hustling with a mindset like mine.Lol.

• December 10, 2019
    Jayshree

Taking a break is a mandate whatsoever. Sometimes detaching yourself and getting lost into nowhere helps a lot. I personally need this often.