’Tis the season for New Year resolutions, and as we dream big and cross our fingers that we’ll stick to them for longer than two weeks, we’re also dreaming big for our business. The beginning of the year is when ambitions run high, along side our income and impact goals. Unfortunately, it always seems that as the year goes on, those goals shrink as we overcome obstacles, get sidetracked and overall become discouraged that they’re even possible.
But what if you could meet and exceed those goals? What if, at the end of this year, you were still as excited about those goals as you were at the beginning?
Yes, entrepreneurship is an emotional rollercoaster. So prepare for that. It’s time to build the systems and put the tools in place in your business so that you keep moving forward and stay focused when things get tough.
Here’s our three step process for sticking to your business goals all year long.
STEP 1: Create a Distraction-Proof Action Plan
You’re probably thinking “Well, duh!” But if you’re reading this, chances are that you’ve yet to create one that’s 100% shiny-object-syndrome-proof. I actually just hosted a Plan #LikeABoss 2-day free workshop that walks you through building an epic plan, which you can still grab the replays for here. But here’s a brief recap on how to do it:
- Review. Know where you’re at (and where you’ve been) so you can get to where you’re going. Reflect on what worked and what didn’t over the past 12 months, what your most (and least) popular content was, and your financial situation.
- F*ck Practical. Think big. I’m talking big enough to keep you aligned and focussed all year long. If it doesn’t? Dream bigger.
- Get Tactical. Create an action plan that breaks down primary and secondary goals for each month. Then, define 3 main projects that you need to do as a stepping stone to reach those goals. Then? Break each of those projects down even more into 3 main tasks. Now, no matter WHAT else you have going on that month, those 9 tasks are non-negotiable and keep you working towards your big goal.
Take the guesswork out of what needs to get done, trust in your plan and make your dreams a reality. And like I said, you can catch the free replays for Part 1 & 2 of the Plan #LikeABoss workshop here.
STEP 2: Build in Accountability Measures
There are a few ways to keep yourself accountable, and it’s important to try them out until you find one or two that work for you.
- Find an accountability parter, someone that you can chat with on a daily or weekly basis that will hold you accountable for getting things done that you say you will. We recently pulled together a list of great places to find one here.
- Set deadlines and reminders in your calendar. Sure, it can get annoying sometimes but you know what’s even more annoying? Not reaching your fullest potential.
- Hire a VA or support team member that requires you to keep to your deadlines and get things done that you say you will; because hiring someone REALLY makes you “the boss”.
- Invest in a coach or consultant that will help you stick to your action plan and constantly check in on your goals. If it’s something you’ve been considering, you’re going to want to check out our All In Business Accelerator Program. The Fast-Track program is 4 months and the VIP is 6 months, both with unlimited text & email support for the program. That means that I’ll check in with ‘ya as often as you need it.
STEP 3: Keep the Bigger Picture In Mind
You remember that “f*ck practical” goal we set in Step 1? Well let’s make that visual. Let’s surround your daily life with what that goal looks like so that, whenever you get discouraged or distracted, you’re reminded what you’re working for. You’re reminded what you’re doing and why you’re in business in the first place.
So give vision boarding a try. Hop on Pinterest or Google, or even open up a spreadsheet, and map out what you’re working towards. What’s your mission? Your vision? Your goals? Get it all out of your brain and turn it into a collage on your wall or your desktop background.
DESIGN the fuel to keep you going. Because it’s in you.