Ever since social media took off, there’s been so much talk about how businesses NEED to be on social media. They’re not wrong. But that’s not the whole story. Because of all this talk, business owners have stopped incorporating other marketing methods into their strategies. Even if you have a rockstar team full of social networking gurus, social media is super time consuming and doesn’t always have the fastest ROI.
It isn’t supposed to. Social media is about building relationships and engaging in conversation.
SO… What we’re trying to say is: don’t forget about the other stuff.
There are other approaches to marketing that you can use instead of OR in conjunction with your social media activities. To do that, we at Rebel Office worked on creating a BIG list of marketing techniques and strategies that don’t involve social media at all. We’ve done the hard work for you, so now all you have to do is pick a few and try them out.
- Host an event to showcase your business.
- Rent billboard / road signage space.
- Hand out flyers out in front of your store with an in-store promotion.
- Create a survey and advertise it to get feedback AND get your name out there at the same time.
- Host a workshop or tutorial.
- Advertise on your local radio station.
- Contribute an article to your newspaper or an online magazine.
- Advertise your job posting to get your name out there.
- Send a thank you card to a recent customer with a discount for their next purchase.
- Sponsor a local event in your community.
- Knock door-to-door on local businesses with a brochure or info booklet about your services.
- Rent a space for a week or month and host a pop-up shop in a different location.
- Attend a conference and network.
- Attend a conference and register a booth.
- Create a loyalty program for customers/clients to encourage referrals.
- Advertise in your local or the national newspaper.
- Host an in-store or online giveaway/contest to bring people to you.
- Mail out flyers or a brochure with your local postal service to your local area.
- Ask previous customers or clients for a video or written testimonial and host them on your website / hang them in your window.
- Collaborate with a fellow business owner to offer a joint service or package.
We’ve tossed a lot at you, so we want you to keep in mind a few key things.
- Marketing is about experimentation. Smart, educated experimentation, but you’re going to have to test and try things out.
- Social media can help distribute the message and be a platform to share all of the above.
- If you don’t think you can do one of the above properly, don’t try it. Or hire someone to do it for you. Or heck – try it! But there are tons of different opportunities out there to market your business, so maybe stick to what you’re good at and what’s aligned with your business.
- You’re there for your customer. Don’t forget that. Before trying anything, put yourself in their shoes to see if its even applicable and relevant to them. Otherwise, you could be wasting your time.